The Stephen Gaynor School honors the Indigenous People of the Lenape Tribe who lived on these lands before us. We recognize the forced displacement of the Indigenous People of Manhattan during colonization. This acknowledgment is meant to:
- Recognize our school building stands on the very land once inhabited by the Lenape people
- Show respect and appreciation for the Lenape people
- Reflect on the past events that have impacted all Indigenous Peoples
- Honor their place in and continued contribution to the shared story of America
- Celebrate the commitment and accomplishments of the Indigenous People toward sustainability and thoughtful protection of our planet
The above statement was crafted by the students and faculty in Stephen Gaynor School’s Blue Cluster.